Sunday


I wake to the sound of Miss Four giving her daddy kisses on his cheek - ‘I’m just kissing daddy’ she whispers to her brothers before she scurries down the hallway to join them on the couch for morning TV.
School holidays have meant we’ve had a few days of laying in bed til 8am as the children rise at 7am and set themselves up in front of Netflix. It’s bliss.

We are right in the thick of Winter yet today there is a warm breeze, mimicking a Spring day. The sun is shining brilliantly and it’s 22 degrees outside. I get out of bed and put on my painting clothes, kissing the kids as I pass them on my way downstairs. We have been renovating and adding a downstairs rumpus and we are finally (after one year of hard work) almost finished.

I listen to James Bay and Vance Joy as I paint - The Husband is in the kitchen cooking pancakes for our breakfast and I smile to myself, impressed by his patience as our two youngest wish to help him.
Master Eight washes and cuts the large punnet of strawberries as Miss Four mixes the batter. Master Nine reluctantly sets the table then pulls out Harry Potter to read on the couch.

Eager to maintain some balance between family time and renovating, I suggest we all head to the local BMX track for an hour and then go to Bunnings to get more supplies. The kids love this idea and don’t seem to be tiring of the BMX track even though this will be their third visit in as many days.

At Bunnings we gather supplies and give the kids a play before grabbing sausage sandwiches on our way out.

It’s after 1pm before we are back at home so when the kids ask for some screen time we happily oblige. It allows us to get stuck into finishing off renos downstairs. My dad comes ‘round to help move some furniture and we have a coffee and chat with him as we watch the new room take shape.

By 5pm we are done for the day. The room is almost complete and is looking just how I imagined it would. My heart is bursting that it’s finally a usable space.

I look around at my home, at my family, at my kids who are now pyjama clad and playing nicely together and my heart is overwhelmed with gratitude.

This is us. This is Sunday.

Popular Posts