This recipe is egg and nut free and could be made dairy free if you wanted to omit the choc chips and use almond or soy milk instead of cows milk.
Guilt Free Choc Mint Muffins
- 1 cup skim or any milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1/2 cup choc chips
- 1/3 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (I use baby apples)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of peppermint essence (optional...you could try orange or coconut)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a muffin tin with patty cases and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the milk and the vinegar. Put to the side.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt together to remove any lumps. Then stir in the choc chips. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, apple sauce, peppermint essence and vanilla. Mix together. Whisk in the milk (which may appear slightly curdled).
- Finally, stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. (advoid over whisking as this will make muffins tough). The batter will be quite thin and wet. Divide it evenly between the patty cases.
- Bake in oven for about 15-18 minutes. They are done when a skewer comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
*Whenever I bother to bake, I make double batches. Once they are cool they can be frozen in snap lock bags.