Our Planet




I always remember my father telling me he wasn't sure he wanted to have children. It wasn't because he didn't want to be a parent. It was because he was so unsure about the stability of the world at the time that he didn't know whether it was fair to bring children into it.
That was over forty years, and three children ago.

I often wonder what my children's world will be like when they are adults - not in a cool Back to the Future kind of way - I can only hope we have done enough to keep this planet safe and healthy for them.

It feels to me like we are in a time of change. There is a shift in perspective as we move away from the thrill of convenience for the sake of our world. I think about how exciting it must have been for my parents when all the 'fantastic' plastics came into being. Straws and cling film and snap lock bags... things that made life easier and quicker. Use it once and throw it away...no washing required!

But now we pay the price and I know that we can all do better. People are aware and people are wanting to make changes. No more plastic bags in the supermarkets. No more straws being sold. We are searching for alternatives and in some cases, going back to basics. It not only feels good, but I have a feeling it is worth every second of extra time, every cent of extra money it might take.

I want my children to grow up in a world that is simple. Take care of things, respect your environment, gain knowledge to make positive changes. Delight in our magnificent planet.


Popular Posts