Good Luck


Master Seven hasn't had the easiest run at school this year. I'm not sure if there is a 'school mum' guidebook but if there were I would assume it would have one page, one phrase... one precious offering going forward into the world of conventional schooling -

GOOD LUCK.

That's what it would say. Short and sweet and honest. There really is nothing else to offer. No 'how to' dot points to memorise and execute because what it all boils down to is that every child is unique, every school is unique and every parent is unique. Those three elements trying to meld their worlds together to make a harmonising and positive experience is always going to prove a challenge. 

I giggle with a bit of embarrassment at how jaunty and spritely I was that first school year for our family, as we watched our first born thrive in Kindergarten. Being a school mum (or school parent I should say) can be tough. It is built within us to protect our young and we wish nothing but the best for them. We long to see them thrive and to be happy. Master Seven struts into school on most days, holding his head high and beaming a big smile but come the afternoons it can often be a different story. I'm not sure if it's the challenges of being seven, the challenges that have come with a composite class and being a huge minority within that class or something else entirely but it just hasn't been a great school year. 

There have been times when I've brought up home-schooling with The Husband and we've discussed it but never settled on it as a viable option for our family. Master Seven doesn't even want to learn Hot Cross Buns on the piano from his own mother let alone twelve years of schooling. He doesn't listen to me when I ask him to put his shoes on, what makes me think he'll listen to my ramblings of Australian history or why the word 'debt' has a 'b' in it. I realise there are many other factors to consider, and believe me, we've considered them! But at the end of the day I need to put my trust in those who are trained to care for their students, not just academically but socially as well. 

There are eight weeks left of this school year and I can't help but ponder what they will be like. I'm hoping we can end the year on a positive note. 

Popular Posts